Experts from Laing O’Rourke, Trimble, Offset, Workmobile and the Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre at the University of Sheffield are to share their learning from digital innovations used on Hinkley Point C at a virtual event.
The five session webinar series, on 24-25 March 2021, will examine the use of digital tools on the delivery of the nuclear power station and in Laing O’Rourke’s ground-breaking offsite manufacturing facility.
The sessions will provide detailed insight and the lessons learned implementing these technologies. Importantly the series will examine how these can be applied to the wider construction industry.
Areas covered will include:
- The use of mobile quality assurance (QA) data, including a case study on a new mobile platform for the inspection of precast concrete.
- Laser scanning of the site, automated comparison to design nominal models and the automated capture of as-built reports.
- Augmented reality for guiding and improving QA, both onsite and in the factory.
- Photographic imaging and artificial intelligence (AI) for automated factory QA.
- Digital information and paperless construction to improve information sharing, productivity and collaboration among different stakeholders.
Programme and speakers
Session 1: 10:00-11.30
The use of non-coding tools to digitise paper-based processes with Workmobile
- Colin Yates, co-founder, Work Mobile
Session 2: 14.00-15.00
AI based inspections for quality assurance with AMRC
- Professor Rab Scott, head of digital, Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre at the University of Sheffield
- Mike Lewis, theme lead for digital, integrated manufacturing group, Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre at the University of Sheffield
- Bikram Baruah, integrated manufacturing group, Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre at the University of Sheffield
Session 3: 10.30-11.30
Digital paperless construction and workflows, part 1: Digital information and paperless construction using Trimble Connect
- Steve Jackson, technical manager, Trimble Solutions
Session 4: 12.00-13.00
Digital paperless construction and workflows, part 2: Digital based workflows for construction inspection using augmented reality and Trimble QA tools
- Dr Scott McGovern, digital engineering leader – engineering excellent group, digital bridges project manager, Laing O’Rourke
- James Potter, digital and quality leader, Laing O’Rourke
- Dr Marianna Kopsida, advanced solutions manager 3D, Trimble
- Andrew Brennan, product manager, Viewpoint
- Andrew Thomson, solutions architect EMEA, Viewpoint Register
Session 5: 14.00-15.00
Laser scanning for as-built verification of in-situ concrete embeds
- Gavin Pailing, managing director, Offset Services